Wednesday, July 27, 2011

One of my favorite things to do is appreciate each of my two nieces and the talents they possess.
In this case, it is Brooke the younger one. "The Cookie" as we call her. She is 11 years old,  has an outstanding sense of humor and can sum up a situation in very few words. Her phrases are called "Cookie"isms.
An excellent student, dancer, saxophone player, artist, writer and humble almost to a fault.

At age 7 she was asked to fill out a form in school.
It stated "When I grow up I want to see what would happen if..."
Most of the children had written if I became "a lawyer, a teacher, a mom, a dad..."
Not Cookie's.

Hers read "When I grow up I want to see what would happen if the earth imploded."
That's Brooke!:)

Bill- her dad, had discovered this on top of the garbage, saved it and made copies for all of us to see.
She doesn't know to this day.
Written at age 9 on a topic assigned by a teacher, here it is:

"If I were in Charge of the World"

If I were in charge of the world
I'd cancel scraping your knee,
Mosquitoes,
Peas, and also
Trying on jeans.

If I were in charge of the world
There'd be laundry that folds itself,
No sports on TV and
Sisters that don't hog the phone.

If I were in charge of the world
You wouldn't have blisters.
You wouldn't have fads.
You wouldn't have shampoo that stings your eyes
Or "No dessert until you eat your vegetables."
You wouldn't even have vegetables.

If I were in charge of the world
Pennies would be dollars and
"Maybe" would be "yes"
And a person who can't be organized
And isn't coordinated, even if she tries,
Would still be allowed to be
In charge of the world.

Written by Brooke

I love them to pieces, that's one of my nieces!

11 comments:

  1. That got me a bit teary! Thank you so much for sharing 'Cookie' with us. She's a gem *smile* Going to pass this link around because more people should think like Cookie *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the "Cookie" isms. So special that her dad kept them. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work by Cookie. You needed a follower, so I'm proud to be your first of many to come.

    Joyce
    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this one! Your niece is one, um, smart Cookie. ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great piece of writing by Cookie, definitely a writer-in-the-making!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome-- I love the way Cookie thinks!! I am going to share this :) Cheers! Jenn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a kid! How do I get on her good side, so I'm ok when she IS in charge of the world?

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was so sweet. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Soooo sweet. I love the purity in poetry written by children.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I was 9 I might have thought of some of those same things! I'm with Mike, I wanna her to like me when she takes over. Lucky Auntie!

    ReplyDelete